Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2015

HEALING OR STEALING

I've always been a fan of Paul Hawken due to his gentle but indefatigable spirit, in addition to his brilliant creativity.  You may know him from Smith & Hawken yard and garden products.  Or the Rocky Mountain Institute.  Or his fact-filled encouraging environmental thesis, "Natural Capitalism"  He spoke years ago at my alma mater, Willamette University, about the thousands of organizations working around the globe for healing purposes and how they would eventually triumph over the "stealers".
So when I found his commencement address to U of P's class of 2009, I was excited and wanted to share it with you.  My favorite quote from the address:

When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: If you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren’t pessimistic, you don’t understand the data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor, and you aren’t optimistic, you haven’t got a pulse.

It is not only possible to invest in and conduct business in ways that heal one another and our surroundings, it is the only truly profitable way.

Your Constructive Comments are Welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Constructive Comments Are Welcome!